For many first-year college students, the first year away from home can be a particularly daunting experience. Away from friends and family in an unfamiliar environment, first-year students often feel unconnected and unsupported. NVU’s five-day pre-Orientation Summer Bridge Program is designed to enhance the skills and motivation of first-year students to ease their transition to college life and provide them with the skills they need to succeed.
Open to select low-income and first-generation students, the program combines academic preparation and non-cognitive skills development with a sense of group identity and an early connection with the Academic Support Services staff that can make the difference between success and failure in the crucial first year of college.
About the Summer Bridge Program
- Preparatory classes in writing and math
- Workshops on study skills, goal-setting, decision-making, and learning preferences
- Presentations on financial aid, financial literacy, and academic responsibility
- Team-building activities and opportunities to interact with students from similar backgrounds and the Academic Support Services staff
- Housing and meals provided on campus
- Participants join the regular Fall Orientation at the program’s conclusion
Interested in Participating? Apply Today!
If you'll be attending NVU-Johnson, you can apply to the Summer Bridge Program here.
If you'll be attending NVU-Lyndon, you can apply to the Summer Bridge Program here.
For more information on how the Summer Bridge Program can help you succeed at NVU, contact the Academic Support Services Office at your home campus.
NVU-Johnson Academic Support Services
802.635.1259 or JohnsonAcademicSupport@NorthernVermont.edu
NVU-Lyndon Academic Support Services
802.626.6497 or LyndonAcademicSupport@NorthernVermont.edu