After much discussion, we have decided to begin the fall semester on Tuesday, August 18, one week earlier than planned. We will then move into an accelerated push through the semester to an early end with a return home for Thanksgiving break and remote exams to complete the semester. The number of teaching days will not be affected by these changes. NVU Online will start as planned on August 31 and continue with its normal schedule.
NVU Fall 2020 Semester Details:
1. Fall orientation, move-in, and convocation. We anticipate that move-in dates will be staggered between August 14 through 17 with new and first-year students arriving on the earlier dates. As soon as we finalize these event and move-in dates, we will be in touch with details.
2. Fall semester begins Tuesday, August 18.
3. NVU Online will start as planned on August 31.
4. Classes will be held Labor Day, Monday, September 7.
5. There is no October break.
6. Thanksgiving break is November 23–27. Note: Students will exit the residence halls on Friday, November 20, and will not return to campus until the spring semester, which begins January 19.
7. Final exams will be held remotely, November 30–December 3. The fall semester ends December 3.
8. Spring semester begins January 19
We know this is different from our normal semester. We are making these changes for the health of the full Northern Vermont University community as we navigate the COVID-19 pandemic. Again, we will be in touch with additional details as we make decisions on dates, move-in processes, events, etc.
In the meantime, staff are planning virtual SOARs (summer orientations) to begin July 1 on both campuses for our newest NVU students.
We are all working toward a return to campus with face-to-face instruction with modifications to ensure safety. Faculty are preparing to welcome you back to campus and also prepping for all scenarios, including expanded section offerings and a full range of remote instruction, just in case. Additionally, we are staying in touch with state officials. We will follow their guidelines as we return to campus. Like every college in the nation, our plans will be subject to change based on conditions and directives within our own state and the surrounding regions.
COVID-19 is unparalleled. It will change the world. What it will not change is the grit, perseverance, heart, and action of NVU. North makes a difference that lasts.