Make your mark with a degree in animation and illustration at Northern Vermont University.
Our bachelor of fine arts degree program in animation and illustration gives motivated, talented visual artists the training in drawing and storytelling to develop a unique “visual voice.” Small classes, expert faculty, and a curriculum that is updated regularly will prepare you to stand out in the creative job marketplace.
Even as a student, you'll get the chance to gain professional experience and exposure through internships and participation in events like the Peeksill Film Festival and the annual Vermont Animation Festival, a collaboration among NVU-Lyndon, the Catamount Arts Center, and The Center for Cartoon Studies. The 2017 festival screening was hosted in NVU-Lyndon's Alexander Twilight Theatre.
Whether you’re hoping to work as an illustrator for print or time-based media like video games and animation, the animation and illustration program will prepare you. Our faculty care about your success and challenge you to develop professional skills that make you ready for the workplace immediately after you graduate. All graduates of the program will have:
- An ability to work collaboratively and/or independently in solving advanced problems in animation and/or illustration
- An advanced ability to create effective, professional-level animation and/or illustration projects.
- A proficiency in the use of appropriate creative tools for specific animation and/or illustration projects
Small Classes and a Cutting-Edge Curriculum that Prepare You for Career Success
- Our curriculum is updated on an ongoing basis to ensure career readiness.
- Our class sizes are capped at 18 students, ensuring personalized attention from your instructors.
- The majors within the department have a common core that allows most students to switch into a different major within the Visual Arts Department without lengthening their time in college. Our faculty genuinely care about your success.
- We teach professionalism throughout the curriculum to ensure that graduates are ready for careers in graphic design and related fields.
As a student in this program, you will build on your already-strong drawing skills through coursework and real-world projects that turn your passion for art and drawing, your hard work, focus, and creativity, into a professional portfolio and resume that will stand out to prospective employers after graduation.