Take your first steps towards a successful first year with the Summer Bridge program at Northern Vermont University.
For many first-year college students, the first year away from home can be a particularly daunting experience. Away from friends and family in an unfamiliar environment, first-year students often feel unconnected and unsupported. NVU’s five-day, intensive Summer Bridge Program is designed to enhance the skills and motivation of first-year students to ease their transition to college life and provide them with the skills they need to succeed.
The program combines academic preparation and non-cognitive skills development with a sense of group identity and an early connection with the Academic Support Services staff that can make the difference between success and failure in the crucial first year of college.
About the Summer Bridge Program
- Workshops to help prepare for college including study skills, goal-setting, decision-making, and learning preferences.
- Presentations and support for financial aid, financial literacy, and academic responsibility.
- Opportunity to participate in service activities.
- Team-building activities and opportunities to interact with students from similar backgrounds and the Academic Support Services staff.
- Housing and meals provided on campus.
- Participants join the regular Fall Orientation at the program’s conclusion.