Take your first steps towards a successful first year with the Summer Bridge program at Northern Vermont University.
For many first-year college students, the first year away from home can be a particularly daunting experience. Away from friends and family in an unfamiliar environment, first-year students often feel unconnected and unsupported. NVU’s five-day, intensive Summer Bridge Program is designed to enhance the skills and motivation of first-year students to ease their transition to college life and provide them with the skills they need to succeed.
Open to select low-income and first-generation students, the program combines academic preparation and non-cognitive skills development with a sense of group identity and an early connection with the Academic Support Services staff that can make the difference between success and failure in the crucial first year of college.
About the Summer Bridge Program
- Workshops to help prepare for college including study skills, goal-setting, decision-making, and learning preferences.
- Presentations and support for financial aid, financial literacy, and academic responsibility.
- Opportunity to participate in service activities.
- Team-building activities and opportunities to interact with students from similar backgrounds and the Academic Support Services staff.
- Housing and meals provided on campus.
- Participants join the regular Fall Orientation at the program’s conclusion.
Johnson Summer Bridge
The 2020 Summer Bridge Program at NVU-Johnson is open only to TRIO-eligible students.
If any of the following bullets apply to your situation you are eligible:
- Neither of my parents graduated with a four-year college degree
- I receive a Pell Grant with my financial aid award
- I am a student with a disability
Please complete and submit an application by July 27, 2020
Lyndon Summer Bridge
The 2020 Summer Bridge Program at NVU-Lyndon is open to all incoming first-year students who have enrolled at the Lyndon campus of Northern Vermont University. Please complete and submit an application by July 8, 2020.
For more information on how the Summer Bridge Program can help you succeed at NVU, contact the Academic Support Services Office at your home campus.
NVU-Johnson Academic Support Services
802.635.1259 or JohnsonAcademicSupport@NorthernVermont.edu
NVU-Lyndon Academic Support Services
802.626.6497 or LyndonAcademicSupport@NorthernVermont.edu