How to Apply For Financial Aid at Northern Vermont University
For those entering the following fall: to ensure you receive your maximum need-based financial aid and scholarships, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) prior to March 15. The FAFSA remains open throughout the year and the new FAFSA year begins on October 1 each year.
1. Create an FSA ID for the student and one parent to e-sign the FAFSA.
2. Apply online at FAFSA.gov. This is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
3. Be sure to provide our “Federal School Code” in the required section on the FAFSA. Your information will then be forwarded to the correct Aid Office by the federal processor. The Federal School Code for Northern Vermont University is 003688. Use the Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) for both parent’s and student’s 2019 federal tax information. (Please note that the mailing address for Northern Vermont University is in Johnson, Vermont, so this is what is listed on the FAFSA site. However, the school code applies to both NVU campuses.)
6. You will receive an email from the Department of Education containing a link to your processed FAFSA, aka Student Aid Report.
8. Late applications are awarded in chronological order by their date of receipt and are subject to the availability of funds.
9. If you are a returning student, you will receive an email from the U.S. Department of Education reminding you to complete a renewal FAFSA.
Returning students: the priority deadline is March 15, a change from previous years.