Support for Veterans and Military-Family Students
North is community. Collaboration. Purpose. At Northern Vermont University, you can find your direction and follow it with the support of our small, close-knit campus communities. NVU offers a range of programs and opportunities for military veterans and families on both of our campuses.
Northern Vermont University is committed to veterans and their families.
Our Lyndon and Johnson campuses support veterans and their families in many ways:
- In-state tuition rates may apply for veterans and their dependents who are out-of-state residents (check with our certifying officials below to see if you are eligible for in-state tuition)
- A designated Veterans Affairs certifying official on staff who works with veterans
- Application fee waiver
- Tuition deposit waiver for veterans who enroll at NVU
- Annual scholarships awarded to eligible veterans
- Other tuition assistance for qualifying veterans and family members and help with the GI bill
- Personal and academic counseling
- Student veterans centers
- Veterans Day ceremonies
Why Northern Vermont University?
Our beautiful, peaceful hilltop campuses in Johnson and Lyndon, Vermont, are included on the Military Friendly Schools list, compiled annually by veteran-owned Victory Media. And NVU-Lyndon is ranked the number one top military-friendly campus among small public colleges and universities in the country on the 2018 list.
Veterans benefit from the collaboration between our campuses. NVU’s Veteran Student Support Committee is composed of students, faculty, and staff on both campuses who discuss how to improve veterans’ services.
In March each year, NVU hosts the annual Veterans Summit, the largest event of its kind in Vermont. You’ll want to check out the summit — which alternates between the campuses — for the speakers, resources, and networking opportunities it offers vets and their families.
And veterans on both campuses can enjoy the NVU-Lyndon Veterans Park, which has a wall with names of students, alumni, and employees who served in the armed forces.
As part of our tight-knit NVU community, you’ll have room to breathe, be creative, and collaborate. You and your professors and classmates will challenge and inspire each other. Here you’ll reach higher and achieve more. That’s how you’ll be successful, whatever your goals are.
Resources for Veterans