From Here on Out, Everyone Will Feel Your Impact
Students are given a strong foundation in theory and are well-versed in psychological and social explanations of human behavior. Two practicum experiences provide opportunities to apply skills in a wide variety of professional settings. A student leaves this program with the knowledge and training needed to succeed in many different jobs or in graduate school.
NVU-Lyndon’s program differs from other programs by offering a four-year degree that combines applied psychology and human services.
Successful students who meet the criteria may also be eligible to participate in the NVU master’s in mental health counseling bridge program. Through this program, students are able to take up to three graduate courses during their senior year to complete their undergraduate degree and have a head start on their graduate degree.
Minor in Psychology
Students at both NVU-Johnson and NVU-Lyndon may minor in psychology by taking courses in behavioral science topics, including an introduction to psychology and abnormal, social, and developmental psychology.
A degree in Applied Psychology and Human Services from NVU-Lyndon provides students with a strong foundation in psychological and developmental theory and hands-on experience to prepare them for careers or graduate programs. Many of our students have gone on to pursue Masters Degrees in psychology, social work, human services, or counseling.
Types of Employers
- Community mental health centers
- Centers for older adults
- Nursing homes
- Social service/nonprofit organizations
- Hospitals/healthcare providers
- Rehabilitation facilities
- Federal, state, and local government agencies
- Nonprofit organizations
- Educational institutions
Internship and Field Placement Sites
- Northeast Kingdom Youth Services/ St. Johnsbury
- Northeast Kingdom Council on Aging/ St. Johnsbury
- St. Johnsbury School Guidance Department
- Northeast Vermont Correctional Facility/ St. Johnsbury
- Washington County Mental Health Services/Montpelier
- Vocational Rehabilitation/ St. Johnsbury
- St. Johnsbury Probation and Parole
- Department of Children & Families/ St. Johnsbury
- Northeast Kingdom Community Action Head Start/ St. Johnsbury
- Adaptive Sports Partners, Franconia, New Hampshire
- Spectrum Youth Services, Burlington
- Caledonia Children’s Advocacy Center, St. Johnsbury
- Umbrella Domestic and Sexual Assault Violence and Prevention Agency, St. Johnsbury/Newport