Get to Know Your NVU Portal
As a member of the Vermont State Colleges System, Northern Vermont University utilizes a system-wide portal to provide you secure access to your financial aid information, email, and other tools and resources you'll need as an NVU student. To access the portal and these resources, you'll first need to activate your account.
Please note: we are continuing to develop the mobile version of the account activation process. For now, please use a desktop computer to activate your account.
Activate Your Portal Account
1. Create your password. Go to the account activation page and follow these four steps:
- Verify your identity and request a PIN. (You will need the college ID number provided in your portal activation letter to complete this task.)
- Select where you want your PIN to be sent.
- Validate your PIN.
- Create and confirm your password.
2. Retrieve your username. Go to the username retrieval page, enter your college ID number, and choose where you would like your username to be sent.
3. Log in. Enter your username and password at the VSCS login page (if desired, add to favorites/bookmarks before logging in).
- We recommended writing down your username, password, college ID number, and security answers for future reference.
- If you forget your login, and can’t retrieve it, the Office of Information Technology will need to ‘reset’ your login for you to redo the process above. You can contact them at 802.626.6456 or via email at Helpdesk@NorthernVermont.edu.
- Note that your college ID number protects your identity, and ensures confidentiality in your interactions with NVU and the VSCS. We typically ask you to provide this number when contacting us. Please do not share this number or other login information publicly.
Overview of the Portal
The portal is your entry point into your NVU email, Web Services (where you can view your financial aid award and more), your online classes, and more.
Once you’ve logged in at Portal.VSC.edu, you’ll arrive at the NVU Portal home page. Here’s what you’ll see.
Student Links: Frequently needed web pages, documents, and forms that you’ll need as an NVU student.
- Announcements: Campus-specific, university-wide, and Vermont State Colleges System-wide information is posted here, including deadlines, campus closures and delays, and updates.
- Canvas Classes: Canvas is the NVU learning management system. If you take online classes, they will happen on Canvas. Many campus-based course instructors also use Canvas to post syllabi, homework assignments, announcements, and quizzes to keep you connected to the subject matter and your classmates outside of class meeting times.
- Web Services: Web Services links to information that is important to you as a student. This is where you’ll view and accept your financial aid award, enter your hours if you have a campus job, and view your class schedule, grades, advisor information, and more. Click on the links to explore what Web Services has to offer!
- Email: Located just below the Web Services section, the email link will give you access to your Outlook email inbox. (You may be required to enter the same username and password you used to access the portal home page to access your email.)
Mobile site activation issues: Please use a desktop computer to activate your portal account. The mobile site does not yet support portal activation.
400 Error: If you encounter a "400 Bad Request Error" while attempting to access the portal, close out of your web browser, then re-open it. If you are still encountering issues accessing the VSC portal, please use the following links to reset the browser you are using:
• Google Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en
• Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-s...
• Internet Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17441/windows-internet-explorer...
• Microsoft Edge: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/reset-microsoft-edge-browser-to-default-se...
• Safari: http://osxdaily.com/2016/01/17/empty-cache-safari-mac-os-x/