English Language Proficiency Requirement
Success at Northern Vermont University, for all students, requires proficiency in reading, writing and speaking English. For this reason, English Language Learner (ELL) students seeking admission to NVU must demonstrate their proficiency by taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or Pearson tests.
Score Requirements for Undergraduate Applicants
- TOEFL score of 70 or better; IELTS score of 5.5 or better; or Pearson test score of 45 or better
- You may be required to expand your proficiency in English. Typically you will need to enroll in a two-semester sequence of ESL courses in writing, reading, grammar, listening and speaking during your first year at NVU.
- Exceptions to the TOEFL requirement may be made for students who have had the opportunity to use spoken and written English for a sustained period of time either through life experiences or through post-secondary education.
Score Requirements for Graduate Applicants
- TOEFL iBT test score of 85 or better; IELTS score of 6.5 or better; or Pearson test score of 58 or better
- Official TOEFL scores must be submitted to the Northern Vermont University campus where you seek to enroll from the Educational Testing Service. A photocopy of a student’s TOEFL scores will not be accepted.