Northern Vermont University is now part of Vermont State University! Please visit for accurate information.

Welcome, NVU Families!

We’re excited that your student is joining our campus community. We know that you and your student have questions about getting ready for the first semester as well as what to expect as a Northern Vermont University student.

We’ve compiled information here to help make sure that you can help support your student.  If you can’t find what you’re looking for here, please don’t hesitate to call or email.

Message from the Dean of Students

On behalf of the professional and student staff in the Division of Student Life, welcome to Northern Vermont University. The Dean of Students Office is at the disposal of your student with an eagerness to assist as they navigate the resources of their new home. Our student-centered staff members will help students make informed decisions about academic and personal matters, find appropriate resources within and beyond the campus community, and provide multiple opportunities to engage meaningfully with peers, faculty, and staff.

We cannot emphasize enough the importance of your student getting involved on campus. Relationships and connections to the campus beyond the classroom will deeply enhance your student’s experience. There are dozens of active student organizations on our campuses, including service opportunities, numerous intramural options, and many other academic, arts, and sports clubs. NVU also has a very competitive NCAA Division III athletic program.

It is our goal to make the Northern Vermont University student experience efficient, outstanding, and productive. Whatever the issue, the Dean of Students office is a good place to start. Please contact us at 802.635.1200 (Johnson campus) or 802.626.6419 (Lyndon campus).

And NVU parents, we hope you will get involved and stay connected with the NVU community and partner with us to help your student have a successful year!

Jonathan Davis        
Dean of Students


Welcome, and congratulations on your student’s acceptance to Northern Vermont University! They are beginning an exciting and challenging journey on the path to responsible adulthood and citizenship. They will make new friends, develop new interests, gain new knowledge, and grow and change in ways that you can’t even imagine. They will be different people when it’s over!

Our job at Academic Support Services is to help them along this path in any way possible. Our mission is to provide students with the knowledge, skills, and support to be successful in college, to become self-directed and responsible lifelong learners, and to connect their learning to the wider world.

Although we aspire to be your student’s “Educational Helpdesk,” we need your help! Encourage your student to attend every class, submit all assignments on time, and to seek help from our offices when they are having difficulty. Working together, we can greatly increase the likelihood of your student succeeding at NVU.

Learn more about NVU Academic Support

Athletics and recreation at NVU give our students the opportunity to stay in shape, compete at the highest levels, and have fun all year round. All students (except NVU Online students) can participate in our campus-based varsity athletics or intramural, club, and fitness offerings.

Learn more about athletics at NVU

Student accounts and billing are handled by the Student Administrative Services office, located in Martinetti Hall at Johnson and in the TN Vail Center at Lyndon.

All students must finalize payment with them. In addition, any subsequent charges incurred through the current semester are due 30 days from the online statement date and must be paid in full before registering for the next semester’s classes.

With the new NVU eCampus Bookstore, students will have 24/7 access to a customized website that guarantees the right books at the right time and the right price. Course materials will be linked to each student’s class schedule for easy identification of the correct materials and seamless ordering. With a price match guarantee, students can shop with confidence knowing that they will receive the very best price. Additional benefits include access to free expedited shipping of course materials to campus during the week prior and the week after the start of each term.

Learn more about the Northern Vermont University campus bookstore.

NVU Campus Emergency Alert System

From time to time, Public Safety receives word of potential emergency situations. If it is confirmed that there is an emergency or dangerous situation that poses an immediate threat to the health or safety of a member of the NVU community, a campus-wide warning is issued via some or all of these methods of communication, as appropriate:

  • Email notification to NVU email addresses of record
  • Voicemail messages to telephone numbers of record
  • Cell phone text messages to RAVE Alert subscribers
  • Online announcements on the portal
  • Online announcements on the NVU website

How to Sign Up for RAVE Alerts

The RAVE Alert system is available free of charge to NVU students, staff, and faculty. This service is provided by an off-campus text alert system. All students will have an account. Students that have provided the university with a cellular phone number will have that information added to their account. Instructions for reviewing and editing this information will be provided to all students via their NVU email.

Our campus career and internship offices are here to help your student find their direction and follow it. We can help open doors to high-impact internship opportunities that will prepare your students for future careers and graduate school. From major/minor decisions, resume and cover letter editing, and mock interviews, our mission is to help your student navigate to success.

Learn more about career and internship services at Northern Vermont University. 

Getting involved on campus is a major predictor of success. Families can help support their students by encouraging to get involved in campus groups and activities. And if there isn’t something they’re interested in, students can always start their own club!

Learn more about clubs and activities at NVU.

Students who live off campus are an integral part of our campus communities. We’ve got lots of opportunities for commuter students to connect with other students and learn more about how to get connected and involved with campus.

Learn more about commuter students at NVU.

Both our campus dining halls and snack bars offer nutritious, delicious meals as well as snacks, comfort food, and beverages.

Learn more about eating at Johnson.

Learn more about eating at Lyndon.

Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

FERPA regulations state that while a student is in high school, parents have the right to access the student’s education record. Once a student enrolls at a post-secondary institution, those rights transfer to the student.

A student’s education record at NVU includes, but is not limited to, items such as grade reports, transcripts, billing and financial aid information. College students have the right to view their education record, to request amendments if they believe there are inaccuracies, and, if they desire, to authorize other individuals to access their record.

Why would you authorize another person to access your record? Many students find it helpful to give their parents to access their records so they can discuss the student’s accounts with university officials — the bill statement, for example. If you decide not to authorize another to access your account, the university may not discuss your record with them.

How does my student authorize someone to have access to his or her record? Your student will need to complete the online FERPA Authorization Form. When completing the form, your student will create an “access code” which he or she will need to give to the person(s) he or she authorizes. The authorized person will need to provide this access code to university officials when requesting information from your educational record. A link to the full FERPA policy is available from the form.

To access the online FERPA form, your student must:

1) Log in to the portal at
2) Find the Web Services menus at the top of the page

3) Select “Student Academic Profile,” then “FERPA Authorization Form.”​

Learn more about NVU policies.

If you have not applied for financial aid, you can still do so. Follow these easy steps:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at to apply for federal aid, including student loans. When completing the form, you will need NVU’s school code: 003688.
  • Vermont residents, apply for state grants at
  • Out-of-state residents, check with your state agency to see if grants are available.

Northern Vermont University does not require a separate aid application.

Learn more about financial aid here. 

Accepting or Declining Student Health Insurance

Health insurance is mandatory for all full-time undergraduate and graduate students not otherwise covered. In other words, if registered for at least 12 credits (undergraduates) or 9 credits (graduate students), students MUST either accept the university insurance or certify existing coverage through the health insurance link in Web Services (located on the portal home page under the Student Billing/Financials link). Students will not be able to do this until they are registered for classes.

Students unable to certify that they have health insurance are automatically enrolled in the student health insurance plan.

Wellfleet Student Health Insurance Plan

Wellfleet Student is the health insurance students will have and be billed for if they are not already insured either under their parent or other source. Proof of other insurance coverage is required at the Student Administrative Services Office. You can visit the Wellfleet Student website for more information. The Northern Vermont University Student Financial Services office can also answer questions related to the health insurance requirement or the health insurance coverage provided by Wellfleet Student.

Part-time students are not eligible for Wellfleet Student.

Waiver Deadlines:  

  • Fall Term – September 15
  • Spring Term – February 15

First-Year Experience

All entering first-year students experience a major transition in their lives when they start their college careers. They encounter new experiences, experience new freedoms, learn new policies and rules, make new friends, and adjust to college expectations.

NVU First-Year Experience program offers guidance and support in this often difficult time through the delivery of a number of events and programs.

Learn about Johnson’s First-Year Experience program.

Learn about Lyndon’s First-Year Experience program

All Northern Vermont University students may bring a car to campus for their entire time as a student. All students must purchase a permit to park on campus. Permits can be purchased online.

Learn more about parking at NVU-Johnson.

Learn more about parking at NVU-Lyndon.

NVU Public Safety

The NVU campus Public Safety departments are dedicated to providing a safe environment for the entire community. In order to achieve this goal, it is vital that community members work together to prevent crime and report it as soon as it happens. We are fortunate to be in a setting where crime is less common than at many other colleges; however, we are not crime-free.

Public Safety staff are on duty twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week throughout the calendar year. Officers conduct both foot patrols and vehicle patrols throughout the day and night, paying close attention to parking lots, building entrances, residence halls, roadways and walkways. Officers are responsible for the security of all campus buildings, including the four residence halls on campus. They are trained in proper safety, security, and reporting procedures.

Public Safety officers are authorized to ask for identification, to determine whether individuals have a legitimate reason to be on NVU property and to issue parking tickets. They are not authorized to make arrests or use firearms for restraint or control. The authority to make arrests on campus and to respond to criminal actions off campus rests with the local police and the Vermont State Police.

Residence Hall Security

Residence halls are secured twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Access is available only to residents of that particular hall and to staff of Residence Life, Maintenance, and Public Safety. For added security, there are cameras located in the lobby of each residence hall. Individual room doors are on an electric access center which automatically locks the room door when closed. Visitors should contact residents by using the phones located outside of the buildings for access.

Student IDs and Keys

All students are issued one student ID at no expense. This ID is valid for the entire time a student is enrolled at the College. Residential students will use their ID’s for access into their residence halls as well as into their individual rooms. IDs also serve as one’s meal card and library card and are required for entry to the SHAPE Center.

Students should always carry their IDs; never loan it to someone else. Lost or stolen IDs should be immediately reported to Public Safety. There is a replacement cost for lost or stolen IDs.

Students who are issued metal keys for campus jobs or for living assignments are required to abide by the key terms and conditions. Keys cannot be loaned to others and must be returned immediately upon termination of campus employment or loss of residential status. Keys not returned to Public Safety by the due date indicated on student paperwork will be billed to the student’s account. Charges for keys returned after a due date will be refunded minus a late fee per key. Once locks are changed, no refund will be issued.

Reporting a Fire, Fire Alarms, and Evacuating

Students, faculty and staff are urged to familiarize themselves with the exits in each building. Occupants are to evacuate a facility immediately upon hearing a fire alarm in a building, using the nearest stairwell and/or exit to leave. When an alarm is activated, the elevators stop automatically. If a person is caught in an elevator, he or she should push the emergency phone button, which connects directly to Public Safety.

If a fire occurs on campus property, community members should immediately call 911. This will ensure that the Johnson Fire Department is notified and can respond. If a member of the community finds evidence of a fire that has been extinguished and the person is not sure whether it has been reported to Public Safety, he or she should immediately notify Public Safety to investigate and document the incident.

Emergency Response Team

The Emergency Planning and Response Team, meets regularly to review emergency response plans, notification systems, and conduct trainings and drills. This group also works with local response teams to prepare for any campus emergencies that may arise.

Learn more about Public Safety and campus parking regulations.

Adding, Dropping, and Withdrawing from Classes

Add/Drop Period
The first two weeks of the semester offer students the opportunity to make schedule adjustments. (We call this the Add/Drop Period). If a student would like to add or drop a course during the first two weeks we encourage them to speak with their academic advisor before doing so, to ensure the decision is an educated one.

Adding a Class  

Once the second week of the semester has started, students are required to obtain the instructor’s permission to be added to a class. Johnson students should attend the desired course bring a Registration Adjustment Form to the class. If the instructor signs the form, the student should then submit the form to the Student Administrative Services Office to be processed.  Lyndon students submit a request via email.

Dropping a Class

In the first semester at NVU,  Johnson students wishing to drop a class must complete a Registration Adjustment Form indicating the drop, and submit it to the Student Administrative Services Office. Lyndon students submit a request by email. Instructor signature is NOT required to drop a class. When a student drops a class, the class is removed from the semester schedule and the transcript.

NOTE: If dropping a class brings the student’s semester credit total below 12 credit hours, this may affect the student’s financial aid, NCAA eligibility, and residential status. If students wish to remain at full-time status, they must be registered for a minimum of 12 credits.



After the Add/Drop Period had ended, a student may still withdraw from a course through the end of the ninth week of the semester. When a student withdraws from a course, the course remains on their transcript and indicates a letter grade of “W.” This does not impact the student’s GPA or their full-time status, and students are still responsible for the course tuition costs. Johnson students wishing to withdraw from a class must complete a Registration Adjustment Form indicating a request for withdrawal, and submit it to the Student Administrative Services Office. Instructor signature is NOT required to withdraw from a class during the first nine weeks of the semester. Lyndon students should submit a request by email.

How Families Can Support Students Who Live on Campus

Research on college students has something to say about you too, parents. Students with  involved families do better on grades, persist in college at higher rates, and graduate sooner.

Residential living takes some time getting used to. There aren’t many real-life situations that resemble living with dozens (or hundreds) of similar-age peers in a large building with long hallways and shared bathrooms. Because of how unique and close residence hall living is, a person’s living environment in college tends to create lasting memories and learning opportunities.

How involved is too much? A college has different obligations to parents than a high school. Parents have a new set of conflicts to balance: how much do I get involved, and how much do I let my daughter deal with things on her own? Can I trust the university to be fair in its decisions related to her experience there? Do I make this phone call to advocate for my son, or let him sort through this himself?

We want to hear from you. If you have concerns related to Residence Life, we will follow up on anything that needs to be followed up on, and we will make sure we do everything we are able to do to help get your child into the best possible living situation. We will answer every question you have about our housing policies, process, and paperwork.

We won’t do those things without your child’s involvement. Our mission is to offer safe, welcoming living for all students. That being said, students ultimately need to take the most responsibility for self-advocacy. The most rewarding staff-parent interactions are the times when we partner together to help encourage a student to act independently and be involved in the process.

We would also love to hear from you when things are going great. Nothing makes our day like being able to pass on to a staff member that a parent went out of their way to give positive feedback.

The following section addresses some of the policies and procedures that often come up as questions from parents. It is not intended to encompass every policy the university has. For that, please see the Student Handbook of Rights and Responsibilities.

About Living on Campus

Residence Life Mission, Values, and Staff

Residence Life is committed to offering a residential environment that is safe, welcoming, and free from any forces that seek to oppress or limit any individual. Our staff are tasked with responding to any behaviors that disrupt the academic environment or interfere with the ability of anyone in the community to live securely.

Vermont State Colleges Housing Policy

All students are required to live in the residence halls for their first two years. This is because students who live on campus are more likely to be academically successful and persist until graduation.

Additionally, all students who live on campus must purchase a meal plan. Exemptions are extremely rare and are primarily at the discretion of the Director of Dining Services in consultation with the Housing Review Committee. The process for requesting an exemption is the same as the Housing Review process, detailed below.

Students who will turn 24 before the spring semester of a given academic year are not required to live on campus. Students who transfer in as sophomores are only required to live on campus for one year. Additionally, students who live within an approximate 30-mile radius may commute from the home of their parent or guardian. They must complete a Housing Review form as detailed below.

Housing contracts are binding for the full academic year. Students may not be released from the contract during the academic year, even if they are not required to live on campus.

Students who wish to appeal the housing policy, should complete a Housing Review Form, available on the portal. Students doing so are strongly encouraged to meet with the chair of the Housing Review Committee on your campus, to ensure they understand the process and required documentation(s). Requests must generally meet one of the following criteria:

  • The student is married, in a domestic partnership, and/or has primary custody of a child.
  • The student has a serious, persistent, and documentable medical, learning, or psychiatric limitation that makes it impossible to successfully live on campus.
  • The student has significant financial difficulties and may not be able to remain enrolled as a student if they are required to live on campus.

Room Assignments and Changes

Room assignment preferences for new students are based on the date which students submit their housing contract. Students who request each other as roommates may do so as long as both students submit their contract before June 15.

NVU has single, double, and triple rooms. Single rooms are prioritized on a need basis. If there is documented need, the student must complete a disability disclosure with The NVU Learning Specialist.

When making room assignments, we consider the information provided on the housing contract. This is our best opportunity to make a successful roommate match. However, no set of questions can perfectly predict how roommates will get along. That said, parents should not complete the housing contract for their son or daughter.

For room changes, students should generally see their RA first for help. If the problem is an interpersonal conflict, the staff will make every effort to help resolve the conflict first. Determining the nature of a conflict between roommates can be a challenge, and it is important for students to advocate for themselves as much as possible especially if the root cause of the issue is inappropriate or unsafe behavior.

Room change requests are sometimes impossible to immediately approve due to lack of available beds. When this occurs, please know that we are doing our best to find a placement that will be helpful to the student.

Community Commitment and Expectations

We strive to have a residential environment that supports NVU’s Community Commitments, which include: lifelong learning, personal well-being, success, freedom of expression, curiosity, critical thinking, compassion, service, involvement and respect. Students are expected to adhere to the Student Handbook of Rights and Responsibilities. Our staff are expected to be fair and approachable in their interactions with students.

A residence hall floor of thirty residents could have thirty different worldviews, interests, belief systems, and behavior sets. A successful community understands and celebrates those differences while being considerate to the basic needs of others.

We receive many questions from parents about substance use and the university’s policies. NVU does not allow or condone any illegal or illicit use or possession of alcohol or drugs. The Residence Life staff and Public Safety officers will proactively address and document any concerning behaviors relevant to use or possession of substances that are illegal or illicit.

Parents of students who violate the alcohol or drug policy will receive a notification letter. We strongly encourage you to discuss the incident with your son or daughter. If, after doing so, you have any questions, you are welcome to contact the Dean of Students office on your student’s campus.

In some of our residence halls, we have established designated alcohol-free environments. In these areas, residents sign a specific agreement not to possess, use, or be under the influence of alcohol or other substances while in the living space. These areas are established to recognize the fact that many students want to live in an environment free from those behaviors.

Room Decorations

Students should feel free to decorate their room in a way that is welcoming and consistent with both residents’ tastes and interests. Due to fire code restrictions, however, wall coverings must not cover more than 30% of the total wall area and nothing can be hanging from the ceiling.

Students may not paint their walls and we strongly encourage the use of blue painter’s tape or masking tape to hang posters, as other adhesives can leave damaging residue. Tacks, nails, and other wall-piercing methods of hanging stuff up are not permitted.

Damages Policy

We try to be as reasonable as possible in charging people for room damages, but we do charge for damage beyond reasonable use. Standard repair or replacement costs are available at the student’s request.

When damages occur in a room, the residents will be charged based on the replacement or repair cost of the damaged item. The decision of whether repairs are possible is at the discretion of NVU’s Physical Plant Department. If the damage is clearly the responsibility of one resident, that person will bear the cost for it.

Sometimes, community damage occurs (such as in hallways, bathrooms, lounges, and/or lobbies). When this happens, we will make a good-faith effort to identify who is responsible. If no one comes forward, the community will share the cost. We determine who to charge based on where the damage occurred. If it occurred on a floor, the floor is charged; in a stairway that most of a wing uses, the whole wing is charged; and so forth.

College Breaks

Northern Vermont University has two week-long breaks each semester in addition to the gap between the semesters. Students are responsible for exiting the residence halls by 10 a.m. on the Saturday that starts a break, and are welcome to return anytime after 10 a.m. on the Sunday before classes resume.

The exceptions to this are generally related to varsity athletics; employment, classes or courses that have trips or weekend class meetings; and distant travel (outside New England, and Eastern New York). Requests for other exceptions can be made via the Break Housing Request Form.

Learn more about residence life at NVU here. 

Our goal is to provide a safe, healthy living and learning experience for all community members. All students are expected to conduct themselves as responsible members of this community and to respect the rights, beliefs, and values of others. The Dean of Students Office, in partnership with other appropriate offices, will uphold these expectations and address them as appropriate.

Addressing Concerns Regarding Sexual Assault and Harassment

At NVU, it is our expectation for every community member to SAY something or DO something if you SEE something that could potentially be unsafe or harmful to a student, staff or faculty member.

NVU adheres to the policies of the Vermont State Colleges System (VSCS), which state: The VSCS is committed to maintaining an educational and working environment free from all forms of sex discrimination, including sexual misconduct. The VSCS is also committed to maintaining an educational and working environment free from domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking. Such misconduct will not be tolerated. These acts not only violate a person’s feelings of trust and safety but can also substantially interfere with a person’s education.

It is the policy of the VSCS that, upon learning that an act of sexual misconduct, domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, sexual harassment, stalking occurred, prompt and appropriate remedial action reasonably calculated to stop the misconduct shall be taken. All allegations will be investigated promptly and thoroughly, and both the accuser and the accused will be afforded equal rights during the investigatory and adjudicatory process. The VSCS is committed to protecting the confidentiality of all parties involved, wherever possible, and will work closely with individuals seeking assistance regarding misconduct under this policy. All staff and faculty, with the exception of the Heath and Counseling Center (Lyndon) and the Wellness Center (Johnson) staff, are expected to report alleged violations to the Title IX Coordinator. You can read more about Title IX and sexual respect within the Vermont State Colleges System and at NVU and locate campus contacts here.

Medical Amnesty and Good Samaritan Policy

It is in the best interest of the NVU community that student health and safety emergencies are immediately reported to a Northern Vermont University official. To encourage reporting health and safety concerns related to alcohol or drug use, sexual misconduct, sexual assault, or sexual harassment, Northern Vermont University-Johnson offers immunity from disciplinary action for lesser policy infractions that reporting students may have committed. The university will consider educational opportunities or counseling referrals in such cases.

Medical Services for NVU-Johnson Students

NVU-Johnson does not have a health center on campus. Therefore, for medical related needs, we will provide transportation to our local health care facilities located in Morrisville Vermont, which is 8 miles from our campus. Learn more about medical services for NVU-Johnson students. 

Mental Health Services for NVU-Johnson Students

College is a time of transitions, growth, success, and challenges. The Wellness Center is a place where your student can speak confidentially to a clinician about a range of personal issues.

Students typically seek support for things like:

  • Homesickness
  • Adjustment to college
  • Lifestyle adjustments
  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Self-care enhancement
  • Self-esteem
  • Body image and eating concerns
  • Sleep issues
  • Alcohol and/or drug issues
  • Relationship, dating, sex issues
  • Gender and sexual identity issues
  • Family issues
  • Friend and social issues
  • Health issues
  • Previous trauma issues
  • Concerns about others

Parents, Scheduling, and Confidentiality

Parents, we want you to know that we will always welcome hearing your concerns. You probably know your student better than anyone and can recognize when they are not well with themselves. If you are ever concerned for their emotional or physical safety please call 911 right away.

If not immediately life threatening, call:

  • Public Safety: 802.635.1205
  • Dean of Students Office:802.635.1200
  • Wellness Center: 802.635.1265

You’ve probably heard several times in the orientation process that now that your student is in college, they are considered adults and are responsible for their own health and counseling relationships. We expect them to self-refer, make their own appointments, manage their appointment schedule, and make their own decisions about when they need to engage or feel finished with their services.

If you call us with a concern, we can not disclose whether or not your student has accessed services or give any updates on their care here without their written Release of Information for us to speak with you. This is medical not FERPA. That said —we can listen if you have serious concerns and please know that you can be a great ally by knowing about our services and coaching your student if they need it – about how and where to seek support for themselves. We know that for some of our new students, this is a brand new expectation and that it takes some practice for them to feel confident in taking it on for themselves. They, and you, will soon see that it becomes natural for them to be on their own after doing it themselves a few times whether here or at the various offices on campus. All of our NVU-Johnson offices, departments, and fellow students are helpful and supportive of new students as they are figuring all of this out, so if it isn’t done perfectly the first couple of times – that’s fine, they’ll eventually get it figured out if they keep asking and following through.

If your daughter or son has had prior treatment for a serious mental health condition, please plan for continuation of care. We highly recommend that you consult with your student’s current provider to discuss continuation of therapy and/or medication.

Health Services for NVU-Lyndon Students

The Health Center at Northern Vermont University-Lyndon offers outpatient medical care at no cost to registered NVU students.

This office provides:

  • Assessment and treatment of most minor illnesses and injuries
  • Sports physicals
  • Birth control
  • Ongoing care for chronic illnesses and special problems
  • Necessary prescription medications whenever possible
  • Counseling and psychological care
  • Alcohol and addiction recovery care

Visits to the NVU-Lyndon Health Center are by appointment. A nurse, a doctor, or physician’s assistant is on campus five days a week during the academic year.

To learn more about NVU-Lyndon health services, visit this page.