Northern Vermont University is now part of Vermont State University! Please visit for accurate information.

New NVU-Lyndon Student FAQ


What should I bring to my campus residence room?

Your room will be your home away from home, and we encourage you to bring approved items that will make you feel comfortable. Be sure to coordinate with your roommate to eliminate overlap then stock up with this real-life list of things to bring to college.

Room Basics

  • Sheets, blanket, comforter & mattress pad (XL Twin)
  • Pillows
  • Towels/wash clothes
  • Desk lamp
  • Waste basket
  • Full length mirror
  • Foot locker
  • Under bed storage (if you won’t be lofting your bed)
  • In season clothing
  • Toiletries
  • Hangers
  • First aid kit
  • Fan
  • Posters or wall decor
  • Shower tote
  • Family photos


  • Microwave (under 700 watts)
  • Mini fridge (under 3 cubic feet)
  • Bullet blender (Great for smoothies)
  • Coffee maker
  • Pitcher with water filter
  • Utensils
  • Mugs, plates and bowls
  • Can opener, pizza cutter
  • Paper plates/foil/plastic baggies
  • Pantry basics (PB, popcorn, soup, oatmeal packets)

Tech and Entertainment

  • Cell phone charger
  • Corded phone
  • Extension cords
  • Coaxial cable
  • Power strip
  • Cable organizer
  • MP3 Player
  • Speakers or docking station
  • Headphones/ear buds
  • TV

Academic Basics

  • Desk supplies (Index cards, highlighters, sticky notes)
  • Laptop/desktop computer
  • Flash drives
  • Printer (with paper and extra ink)
  • Bulletin board/dry erase board
  • Book light

Cleaning up and Organizing

  • Dish detergent
  • Sponge and dishcloth
  • Disinfecting wipes
  • Paper towels
  • Tissues
  • Febreeze
  • Hand-held vacuum
  • Laundry supplies (bag, detergent, fabric softener)
  • Instant stain remover
  • Blue painters tape for hanging things on walls
  • Double closet rod
  • Campus Gear
  • Robe
  • Shower shoes & slippers
  • Rain coat & umbrella
  • Bike/bike lock
  • Back pack
  • Swimsuit
  • Walking shoes
  • Water bottle
  • Travel mug
  • Sunscreen

Don’t Forget

  • Important paperwork (health insurance card, driver’s license)
  • Emergency contact numbers
  • Batteries
  • House key for home

Do I have to pay for a meal plan? Can I change my meal plan?

All residents on campus must carry a residential meal plan unless they reside in the Rita L. Bole Complex. Exceptions are made only when serious health-related situations exist that can be documented by a physician.

All residents can change meal plans within the first week of classes only. After the first week of classes, meal plans cannot be changed. Changes can be completed on Web Services or by contacting the Student Life or Student Services office.

How do I sign up to live on campus?

Approximately one week after the admissions office has received your enrollment deposit, you will receive a confirmation via email indicating what SOAR session you have signed up for and what forms are still required by NVU. Please read the Housing Contract very carefully to fully understand the Terms and Conditions. You will find these forms on the New Student Checklist on the Vermont State Colleges System portal.

When will I know where I’ll be living? What’s my address?

If your housing contract was received by June 22, your housing assignment will be posted online no later than July 1. The information provided will include the residence hall and room number to which you have been assigned. The information will also include the name and phone number of your future roommate(s), if applicable.

Can I change my room assignment?

No room changes are allowed for the first 14 days of each semester. This is to allow the Residential Life Office time to confirm who has moved in and who has not and to ensure the security of the residents. However, if at any time in the year you believe a room change is necessary, please talk with your Residence Hall Director.

When can I move in?

The date and time of check-in will be listed on your online housing assignment. You may also check our opening/closing calendar here.

I already know who I want my roommate to be. How do I sign up to room with him/her?

On your housing application, you may request a specific roommate. Roommate requests will be honored when possible if both individuals have mutually requested each other. Mutual roommate requests must be made by June 15 in order to be considered.

Can I withdraw from my housing contract?

The housing and meal plan contract is a nine-month agreement. Students may break the housing contract only in the following instances: withdrawal from the university, completion of a degree program, marriage, care of a dependent minor, leave of absence, overseas study, or if academic course load is reduced to part-time status (below 9 credits).

I have a maintenance problem in my room. What do I do?

Routine maintenance problems should be reported to your Resident Assistant or Residence Hall Director. In cases of emergency, students should contact public safety at 802.626.111.

What furnishings will be provided in my room?

Each room has a XL twin bed, mattress, desk, chair, wardrobe and dresser. Drapes are not provided in rooms.

What are the window sizes in the residence halls and will my room come with a curtain rod?

Yes, each room comes with a standard curtain rod for each window.

Wheelock: 100′s = 48″x50″, 200′s, 300′s, 400′s = 39″ x 48″

Rita Bole Complex: All rooms = 61″ x 22″

Room ending in 01/02 = 2 windows 35″ x 57″
Room ending in 03/04/09/10 = 1 window 35″ x 57″
Room ending in 05/06/07/08 = 2 windows 35″ x 57″ and 14″ x 57″
Room ending in 11/12 = 2 windows 14″ x 57″
Room ending in 13/14 = 1 window 14″ x 57″

Arnold/Bayley and Poland/Rogers:
Room ending in 01/02/09/10 = 2 windows 35″ x 57″
Room ending in 03/04 = 1 window 35″ x 57″
Room ending in 05/06/07/08 = 2 windows 35″ x 57″ and 14″ x 57″
Room ending in 11/12/13/14 = 1 window 14″ x 57″

How often are rooms cleaned?

Students are responsible for cleaning their own rooms. Housekeeping staff are responsible for cleaning the public areas (hallways, lounges, etc.), public restrooms, and bathrooms in suites. In the Rita Bole Complex, the cleaning of the suite areas is the responsibility of the students living in the suite.

Are vacuum cleaners provided?

Vacuum cleaners are available for check-out in all residence hall offices.

Is there any storage space in the residence halls?

There is no storage space in the residence halls outside of your room, so please limit what you bring.

Is there a place to store my bike?

Limited bike storage is available inside the Wheelock Residence Hall. Outside bike racks are the most common place to store a bicycle. You are also welcome to keep your bike in your room if your roommate agrees to it. If you bring a bike, use a sturdy lock.

Can we bring extra furniture? Will it fit?

We suggest that you do not bring extra furniture. The rooms are designed to hold the furniture in them. None of the furniture provided by NVU may be removed. If at some point you decide that there is extra room you are welcomed to bring extra furniture in. It will be the student’s responsibility to remove it at the end of their time in the room. Most students living on campus will have one or two roommates. When deciding what to bring, be sure to contact your roommates first so you will not double some items.

What appliances are acceptable in the residence halls?

Below is a list of some items that are allowed in the residence halls:

  • desk lamp
  • small microwave
  • small stereo
  • small refrigerator (4.0 cubic feet max)
  • dvd player
  • electric blanket
  • floor lamp
  • small television
  • personal computer
  • clock

Is there anything I shouldn’t bring to campus?

Safety is extraordinarily important in the residence halls. As a result, we request that you do not bring any items which are a fire hazard or that might otherwise jeopardize the health and safety of the community. Some of these items include:

  • halogen lamps and halogen light bulbs
  • firearms and weapons
  • candles
  • incense
  • grills
  • flammable liquids (gas, kerosene)
  • exposed heating elements (sun lamps, hot plates, space heaters)
  • microwaves above 700 watts
  • waterbeds (for reasons of structural safety, waterbeds are not allowed in any residence hall)
  • Pets (fish in an aquarium of 10 or fewer gallons are okay)
  • toaster or toaster ovens
  • homemade lofts
  • live Christmas trees or boughs
  • cinder blocks
  • personal/unapproved wireless routers

Can students leave belongings in the room during break periods?

Yes, although, we encourage students to take expensive property home with them. Clothes and other belongings can be left in student rooms.

Where is the closest ATM?

There is an ATM located right outside of the student center inside of Vail on the second floor maintained by Passumpsic Savings Bank.

I want to bring my car to campus. Where can I park?

Lyndon policy requires that all students, faculty, and staff who park vehicles on campus, register them with the NVU-Lyndon Public Safety Department. For more information, call them at 802.626.6452.

Am I allowed to have guests in my room?

It is not a right for you to have visitors or overnight guests in your room. This is an important area to discuss with your roommate(s). With prior approval from your roommate(s), you may have a guest stay in your room for three nights within a seven day period. Guests must comply with all residence hall and campus policies and regulations. You are responsible for your guests and their actions.

I have special dietary concerns. How do I address those?

If you are vegetarian, you’ll find a wide selection of foods to meet your needs in all of our dining facilities. If you have other special considerations—allergies, ethnic or religious observances, intolerances, or low-fat needs bring them to the General Manager for Sodexo Food Services at any time, by calling 802.626.6266.