Northern Vermont University is now part of Vermont State University! Please visit for accurate information.

F-1 Visa Documentation

About Visa Documentation for Students

International applicants admitted to Northern Vermont University and who have provided the required financial certification and documentation, as well as a $1,500 enrollment deposit, will receive from the university:

  • An official letter of acceptance to Northern Vermont University
  • A Certificate of Eligibility (I-20)

You will need these documents to apply to your U.S. embassy for an F-1 student visa

After Receiving Your I-20

Once you have received the I-20 from Northern Vermont University, as well as the other documents listed above, you should next:

  • Fill out the I-901 form and make an appointment for an interview with the U.S. Embassy in your country to apply for the F-1/ student VISA.
  • Bring the following items for your interview:
    • The official letter of acceptance to Northern Vermont University
    • Certificate of Eligibility (I-20)
    • The original copy of your financial documentation
    • The I-901 fee receipt
    • Passport

Please note: It may take several weeks until you receive your student visa (F-1 visa), so start this process as soon as possible.