Exploring the Relationship Between Falls Risk and Nutrition Status in Community-Dwelling Older Adults
What is this research project?
We are interested in learning more about the relationship between fall risk and nutrition status in older adults living in Vermont.
What have we learned so far about the participants?
- 72% report living in rural regions of the state
- 53% have an elevated fall risk
- 42% had a fall in the past 6 months
- 55% are at nutrition risk
- We found a significant relationship between
- fall risk and food insecurity
- fall risk and malnutrition risk
- food insecurity and malnutrition risk
- Increased nutrition risk was associated with the occurrence of a fall over the next 6 months.
- Preliminary results were recently shared at the Annual Meeting for the American society for Nutrition
Below is related information recently presented by the study team:
- Malnutrition Risk, Rurality, and Falls Among Community-Dwelling Older Adults was published in the January 20, 2021 issue of the Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging.
- The study team presented the results from this study at the 2020 Gerentological Society of America Annual Scientific Meeting: HERE