Welcome and COVID-19 Expectations this Semester
A Message from Interim President John W. Mills
Welcome Home, NVU Students, Faculty, and Staff,
Whether you are joining us as a new student, returning to campus, or studying through NVU Online, we are excited to welcome you for the spring semester at NVU. We cannot wait to see you all again! I know many of you have questions about the spring semester so please read this email through.
Spring Semester COVID-19 Expectations
- We open for the spring semester on time and as planned. Campus-based classes begin on January 18.
- Please get tested before traveling to NVU and do not travel with symptoms.
- Arrival testing will be available for all students as well as testing during that first week of classes.
- Full vaccination, including boosters, is required for students on all VSCS residential campuses. All students must be vaccinated and will be required to be boosted fourteen days after eligibility and provide proof of the booster vaccination. Those students who have received their booster may fill out the proof form here NorthernVermont.edu/Covid19Vaccination. (You will need to upload images of the front and back of your vaccination card.)
We know that the omicron variant is more contagious. We also know that symptoms and length of illness are lessened in those who vaccinate. Vaccination and boosting is one of our best strategies in keeping COVID-19 at bay—and preventing mutations that may be far more dangerous. #BoostUpNVU
One key component of keeping our campuses safe is to stay home from school or work if you are sick or showing COVID-19 symptoms. To ensure academic success for our students, faculty must be ready to accommodate a student who needs to be remote due to illness or is isolating because of testing positive.
PLEASE continue these safety measures wherever you are:
- Get boosted!
- Small informal gatherings are a significant source of transmission. Keep gatherings small and limited and wear your mask while visiting with others!
- Wear your mask—properly and well-fitting over your mouth and nose. Neck gaiters are not allowed in place of a properly fitting face mask.
- Limit your contact with others and avoid large gatherings.
- Social distance while inside to keep the spread of COVID down.
- Get tested if you think you might have been exposed to COVID-19.
- STAY HOME if you have any symptoms or are sick.
Each of us is part of the solution to this pandemic. Help keep your friends, family, and the NVU community safe by doing the above. We cannot beat this without the full participation of each of us.
Enjoy the rest of your break. I can’t wait to see you soon! Stay tuned for additional communications from Dean of Students Jonathan Davis about specific details for your return. And, as always, visit NorthernVermont.edu/COVID19 to stay up to date.
#GetBoostedNVU—We All Have a Part to Play