Coronavirus: Academic Updates from Provost Atkins
Thursday, March 26, 2020
Message from Dr. Nolan Atkins, Provost:
As we begin this period of remote instruction, I’d like to provide you with some relevant updates.
- Course withdrawal deadline: We have pushed back the last day you can withdraw from a full-length Spring 2020 course to April 3, 2020.
- Pass/Not Pass grading option: Many of you have expressed interest in using a P/NP grading option this semester. We have developed guidelines and policy that will allow you to do so. It is important that you understand the ramifications of changing a letter-graded course to the P/NP option. Read through the guidelines and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) concerning this change on the NVU COVID-19 web page under the Students Resources tab. You can access the P/NP opt-in form at this same location.
- Access to WiFi: If you are having trouble accessing reliable WiFi, you can find a number of public hot spots around Vermont on this map. On the Lyndon campus, you can also access WiFi in the parking lot adjacent to the ASAC building. The town of Johnson also has public WiFi, at locations such as the Town Hall and Library.
- Resources for you: We continue to compile resources for you related to academic support, remote learning, wellness, student life, and more. More information can be found under the Student Resources tab on the NVU COVID-19 web page.
- Open Zoom meeting to discuss remote instruction: I have been holding open student meetings on both campuses to discuss academic-related issues. You have received an invitation to attend an open Zoom meeting next Thursday at 11:30 a.m. I hope you can attend to discuss matters related to remote instruction.
- Commencement: There is some confusion about Commencement for May 2020 graduates. The plan is to have separate ceremonies for May 2020 and May 2021 graduates. There is NO plan to combine the ceremonies.
As always, please reach out to me if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.