Direction is More Than Where You Go. It’s What You Do.
Whether you’re interested in leading activities such as paddling and mountaineering, environmental education, therapeutic wilderness programs, resort management, or other business aspects of the recreation industry, our outdoors programs will help you follow your direction to success. Our programs are all about doing — through internships, expeditions, and other real-world experiences.
You’ll work with faculty members who are experienced practitioners with industry certifications and strong connections in the field. Depending on your program, you will graduate prepared for a career in a wide range of settings, from ski resorts, schools, and wilderness areas to camps, environmental education centers, and parks.
Our Curriculum isn't Confined to the Classroom
NVU’s programs encourage you to be adventurous, to explore, to be active. You’ll focus on a niche in the industry to give you an advantage in the workplace while you gain leadership and business skills to help you make your impact.
Here are some program features:
- If you’re a mountain recreation management student, you will choose a concentration in adventure leadership or mountain resort management, which has tracks for mountain operations and resort management
- In the mountain recreation management program, you can increase your career options even more with our certifications in outdoor emergency care, CPR, and other in-demand specialties
- In the outdoor education program, you’ll choose a concentration in adventure education and wilderness leadership, environmental education, outdoor program management, or therapeutic wilderness and adventure programming
- As an outdoor education student, you will develop your abilities on expeditions in Vermont, around the U.S., or abroad, or in labs and nearby streams and forests
- Through hands-on learning experiences, internships, and faculty connections, you'll be prepared to start your career and land jobs in outdoor education and resort management fields