Students, Alums and Community Members ~
Connect with employers in our area at our annual career fairs. Whether you're searching for an internship or your first job after graduation, the career fair is a great place to start.
The VSCS Fall 2020 Virtual Job and Internship Fair is going on now!
November 10 through December 31, 2020
The VSCS Virtual Job and Internship Fair features more than 230 employers who want to hire you! Students, alums and community members — please follow this link to some amazing opportunities: https://www.vsc.edu/job-internship-fair/
Find listings for full- and part-time jobs, internships, seasonal positions, community engagement, graduate programs, and volunteer opportunities. This event is free and is an opportune time for you to learn more about a variety of positions. Please complete the sign-in form on the VSCS webpage so that we can measure the success of our event.
Some tips for sorting employers and opportunities:
Search by “Fair Focus” with the following choices (For more info on each of these industries, visit: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/, and search by occupation group on left side of screen):
- Architecture and Engineering
- Arts and Design
- Building and Grounds Cleaning
- Business and Financial
- Community and Social Service
- Computer and Information Technology
- Construction and Extraction
- Education, Training and Library
- Entertainment and Sports
- Farming, Fishing, and Forestry
- Food Preparation and Serving
- Graduate School and Certifications
- Installation, Maintenance, and Repair
- Life, Physical, and Social Science
- Media and Communications
- Office and Administrative Support
- Personal Care and Service
- Protective Service
- Transportation and Material Moving
Search by opportunity Types:
- Full-time jobs
- Part-time jobs
- Temporary and/or seasonal jobs
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Graduate Programs
We hope you take advantage of this great event!
BUT, BEFORE YOU DO...how is that resume? Need a little help? Don't hesitate to schedule a Zoom appointment with Beth here: https://NVUJohnson.as.me/BethWalsh (Johnson), or set up a Zoom appointment with Amy here: www.Vsc.avisoapp.com (Lyndon)
Reasons to Attend a Career Fair
- Scope out local employment opportunities
- Learn what employers are looking for in job and internship candidates
- Gain communication skills as you talk with employers
- Aim to make a great impression and set up an interview
Career Fair Tips
- Arrive Early
- Dress to impress
- Bring your updated resume and a pen
- Research organizations you're interested in before the event
- Introduce yourself with your "elevator pitch"
- I am (introduction of name, career field, major
- I have experience/skills in (brief description of your experiences, skills, and/ or studies)
- I am interested in/would like to (your career interests, aspirations, goals)
- Plan a few key questions
- Ask what they like best about working for the company
- Take notes!
- Get their business card
- Request an interview — it can’t hurt and they might just say “yes!"
- Follow up with a letter or email (resume included) that:
- Reinforces points you made and facts you learned
- Reiterates your interest in the position and reminds them of your strengths, and
- Thanks them for their time